These vegan eggplant roll-ups with tzatziki are a perfect appetizer for a fest or a side dish for a cozy family or friends gathering.
The roll-ups are easy to make and require only a few ingredients. That is why you will love them.
Also, if you don’t like eggplants… you will start liking them once you try this recipe. At least this is how it was for me, surprisingly.
But, still, I also recommend trying it with zucchini instead of eggplants. Or you can make this dish with both eggplants and zucchini.
If you do the zucchini, bake them for a bit less than eggplants (for 10-15 minutes).
How to store the eggplant roll-ups?
The single option is to store the rolls in the fridge.
So, you can store them in the fridge for 2 days. It’s an appetizer so you don’t have to heat the rolls. Just leave at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before serving.
You can not freeze them because they will fall apart after heating them up again and the tzatziki can’t be heated up (yep, heated cucumber is not a good idea).
Ok. You cannot freeze the rolls up. But, what you can do is to freeze the baked eggplants. You have to be careful though, they might fall apart easily.
Although you can do it, I do not recommend it, especially taking into consideration the fact that the eggplants are so easy to make.
Ingredients to make the vegan eggplant roll-ups
- Eggplants. This recipe is for about 10 eggplant appetizers. If you want to make more, then bake more of them. Also, I want to mention that I don’t peel the eggplant, because they look more appealing on the table this way, but you can definitely peel them.
- Olive oil. Another type of oil will work fine as well.
- Maple syrup. Alternatively, use another syrup or omit this ingredient.
- Garlic. I think that it is a very important ingredient for the marinade, so do not skip it. However, you could substitute it for the same amount of garlic powder.
- Paprika powder.
- Garlic powder.
- Plant-based yogurt. Use cashew cream instead if desired.
How to make vegan eggplant roll-ups?
Before placing the eggplants into the oven, you have to make shallow strips on the eggplant slices. This will help the marinade to infiltrate better into the eggplant.
The marinade is very simple to make (and it smells so good, you can use it as a marinade for other dishes, such as tofu, seitan, zucchini).
All you need to do is to combine into a bowl oil, grated garlic, garlic powder, paprika powder, maple syrup, and salt. Stir well and that is it.
After spreading the marinade, place the eggplant into the oven for 15-20 minutes on 390F/200C.
For the tzatziki, combine yogurt, grated and squeezed cucumber, salt, and garlic powder (or grated garlic).
Then, spread the tzatziki onto the slices, roll them up, and voila!
Delicious vegan eggplant roll-ups!
Vegan eggplant roll-ups with tzatziki recipe
- 2 medium eggplants
Marinade for eggplants
- 6 tbsp oil (I used olive oil)
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 4 cloves garlic (grated)
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 0.5 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 3/4 cup plant-based yogurt (I used soy yogurt)
- 2 small cucumbers (grated, squeezed from extra juice)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Wash the eggplants well. Then, cut both edges of the eggplants. Next, slice the eggplants into 0.6 inches/1.5 cm pieces. On each slice, with a knife, make some shallow strips, both horizontal and vertical (but only on one side of the slice). You should end up with shallow squares on each slice (this will help the marinade to absorb better). [Please watch the video for visual instructions]
- For marinade, combine into a small bowl the oil, maple syrup, garlic, salt, paprika powder and garlic powder. Stir until well combined.
- Spread the marinade evenly on each slice of your eggplant.
- Place into a preheated oven (390F/200C) for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the tzatziki. For this, add into a bowl the yogurt, grated and squeezed cucumber, salt and garlic powder. Mix everything with a spoon until it's well combined.
- After the eggplant is baked, remove from the oven. On each slice, add the tzatziki and roll it up. For better stability, insert a toothpick or a sharp, thin stick.
- For plating, I put some coriander leaves into a plate. Then, I added the eggplant roll-ups and I sprinkled some pomegranate on top.
- If you want a more diet-friendly appetizer or side dish, you can make this recipe without the marinade. Just add some salt and perhaps some garlic powder instead of the marinade.
- Also, you can enjoy this dish without tzatziki. Or, instead of tzatziki, you can add hummus or mashed avocado.
- The same as with eggplants you can do with zucchini. The single difference is to bake them for 10-15 minutes instead of 20.
- This recipe is a nice appetizer if you are hosting a party or as a side dish.
- If you don't like the taste of olive oil, then don't use it as a marinade base for this recipe, because you will feel the taste of it. Replace it with other vegetable oil that you like.
Vegan eggplant roll-ups recipe
Protein: 2% of your daily dose
Net Carbs: 5% of your daily dose
Fat: 12% of your daily dose
Fiber: 11% of your daily dose
Iron: 3% of your daily dose
Calcium: 5% of your daily dose
Vitamin A: 8% of your daily dose
Vitamin C: 3% of your daily dose
Folate: 4% of your daily dose
Potassium: 7% of your daily dose
*please note that these numbers are estimated
Please note that I may earn a small commission from Amazon and iHerb in case you decide to buy products from these sites.